Leverage a pre-written email template to get fantastic testimonials from your web design clients that practically sell your services for you.
Client testimonials are an incredibly powerful marketing and sales tool that can solidify credibility, build trust, and compel action. When done right, testimonials become a lens through which prospects see what is possible.
To secure a testimonial, most freelancers reach out to clients at the end of their work together and ask them to provide a testimonial. With this approach, you’ll get the client to say great things about you, but not necessarily useful things that will compel a future prospect to hire you — and, that’s if you get them to respond. Asking for a general testimonial puts pressure on the client who doesn’t know what to say or how to say it, and as a result, they put off responding.
Instead, you need to provide the client-specific prompts to help them write a testimonial with ease and get the story you want. With this approach, all the client has to do is answer a few simple questions, which removes the pressure to write something amazing and makes it easy to send you a testimonial quickly.
Testimonial Request Sample Email
Asking a client for a testimonial can be an awkward, uncomfortable experience. No matter what you say, the ask often feels like you’re saying, “Hey, can you say some awesome things about me and tell everyone how great I am?” It feels weird and vain, and as a result, a lot of freelancers avoid the ask altogether.
It doesn’t have to be this way. You don’t have to do the asking or be responsible for figuring out what to say. Instead, you can leverage a pre-written template and automate the email send. With this approach, every client is prompted to provide feedback in a consistent way and awesome testimonials magically show up in your inbox without you having to do anything!
Here is the template I use:
SUBJECT: Can I ask a quick favor?
I know you have many choices when it comes to choosing a creative partner. I am so happy you chose [COMPANY NAME] — thank you! It’s been awesome collaborating with you.
We want to promote YOU to our audience and help get your name out there by featuring you on our website and in our portfolio. As part of your case study, we’d love to share what you thought about working with [COMPANY NAME]. More specifically:
- What was your experience like with your website was like before working with [COMPANY NAME]?
- What it was like working with us/me?
- What blew you away or stood out as awesome?
- What results have you achieved working with [COMPANY NAME] — Did you learn anything new?
- What you would say to others thinking of working with us?
This is a great opportunity for some added promotion and brand visibility, so don’t forget to brag it up a bit! Share your success and include some information about who you are, who you serve, and what you do.
I can’t wait to feature you!
Best wishes —
Love Done-For-You Resources Like This?
Profitable Project Plan, my 10 month comprehensive business program for designers and developers, includes done-for-you templates, scripts, checklists, tools, and resources just like this one, along with the strategies behind them and weekly live training and Q&A on topics like:
- Sensible Sales: Getting paid on time every time, sales calls, and contracts
- Client Care: Welcoming clients, onboarding, strategy, content, design, development, launch, and post-launch follow up
- Lucrative Leads: Sales and marketing messages, website strategy, lead capture forms, lead management, lead assessment, offline and online marketing tactics, and creating a marketing plan
- Recurring Revenue: Building recurring revenue through website services, content services, design services, and SEO services
- Brand Blueprint: Creating a brand development system, brand consulting, moodboards, brand style quiz, brand design basics, and brand delivery
Plus, you can customize everything provided in Profitable Project Plan for your own brand and voice to create a seamless experience for your clients. It’s basically my entire business packaged up for you so you can skip the years of strife I went through!
I hope you’ll check it out.